STEPBACK • 1 MIN READ
While many people see the Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras as a tourist attraction, I saw it as a full display of the great Filipino identity, leadership philosophy, and management ingenuity built by altruistic (mapagmalasakit) tribal communities.
My argument is simple: It must have been impossible to build such an engineering marvel without any leadership philosophy and management system—an outright dismissal of the notion that "our ancestors were naive, barbaric, and uneducated."
On May 18, 2018, I headed to the mountain terraces to do a leadership expedition. Here are the three notable observations where Stepback Leadership stands:
- Our 2,000-year-old rice terraces were built by freemen
- No single leader took the credit for its construction
- Their culture has helped the ancient edifice stood the test of time
In your organization,
- Are your people free or are they modern-day slaves?
- Is your organization people-centered or personality-centered?
- Do you have a culture that supports your development?